New novels?

Discuss about anything related to wuxia translations.

Topic author
Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New novels?

Post by Jenxi » June 25, 2015 at 12:17 AM

风郎君 wrote:Xian Xia is a good idea, but is that a different genre or the new wuxia? If xian xia is accepted here, that would open up a lot more topics to talk about as it's quite popular now.
It's a different genre, or perhaps sub genre. They are both about xia but have different settings. Xianxia involves immortals while wuxia are about mortals.

Tri-Star
Newcomer

Post by Tri-Star » August 14, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Xian Xia is probably a different genre. Or a sub category? I don't see why we can't discuss that here.

Topic author
Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jenxi » August 28, 2015 at 12:47 AM

风郎君 wrote:Xian Xia is a good idea, but is that a different genre or the new wuxia? If xian xia is accepted here, that would open up a lot more topics to talk about as it's quite popular now.
I swear I replied to this but seems like my post didn't get through. Well, I put some thought to it and I would say xian xia is a sub genre. I see wuxia as the equivalent to fantasy in general. Xianxia is more like high fantasy. Shenmo would be mythic fantasy.

Topic author
Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jenxi » September 30, 2015 at 3:38 PM

FlyingDagger wrote:
东方不败 wrote:What are the new novels that you speak of?
I'd like to chime in and ask what are the new novels too. I'm really interested in this.
You probably missed my reply to Dongfang Bubai. There seem to be some interest in this so I'll do up a post about these new novels.

FlyingDagger
Novice

Post by FlyingDagger » October 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Jenxi wrote:
FlyingDagger wrote:
东方不败 wrote:What are the new novels that you speak of?
I'd like to chime in and ask what are the new novels too. I'm really interested in this.
You probably missed my reply to Dongfang Bubai. There seem to be some interest in this so I'll do up a post about these new novels.
I guess I really missed that! Seems like your missing post appeared too! I think our forum is becoming quirky! :mrgreen:

Topic author
Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jenxi » October 30, 2015 at 2:00 PM

FlyingDagger wrote:
Jenxi wrote:
FlyingDagger wrote:
I guess I really missed that! Seems like your missing post appeared too! I think our forum is becoming quirky! :mrgreen:
I wonder if it's the theme or the forum itself. Any thoughts on the current theme?

CoenW
Newcomer

Post by CoenW » November 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM

What is the main difference between WuXia and XianXia novels?

I operate a fiction site (penana.com) where there are also writers of English WuXia. But XianXia is a relatively new term for me. Can someone explain as I heard from some of the above discussion that XianXia can be more popular.

Coen

FaerieGodfather
Newcomer

Post by FaerieGodfather » December 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I am definitely interested in new materials, even though I am still working my way through old materials. :)
Viktyr Gehrig
My blog.
My website.

Topic author
Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jenxi » February 18, 2016 at 12:46 PM

FaerieGodfather wrote:I am definitely interested in new materials, even though I am still working my way through old materials. :)
As the saying goes, old but gold. Enjoy your adventure reading them!

FlyingDagger
Novice

Post by FlyingDagger » February 8, 2017 at 12:19 PM

CoenW wrote:
November 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM
What is the main difference between WuXia and XianXia novels?

I operate a fiction site (penana.com) where there are also writers of English WuXia. But XianXia is a relatively new term for me. Can someone explain as I heard from some of the above discussion that XianXia can be more popular.

Coen
Xia is literally hero. So both wuxia and xianxia are heroic stories, with different elements.

Wu means martial, which implies the stories involve martial arts as we see depicted in the gongfu, or kung fu for Westerners, in movies and dramas.

Xian means divine or immortal. Xianxia stories usually involve beings who, while not immortal or divine, possess abilities far beyond humans. This includes longevity or abilities that border magical or supernatural. In contrast, wuxia stories are more grounded aside from the extraordinary martial arts abilities.