Gu Long power ranking

Discuss about anything related to wuxia.

Phoenix
Newcomer

Re: Gu Long power ranking

Post by Phoenix » June 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Jenxi wrote:
It's easy to find digital copies of the original text online nowadays, though quality can be suspect at times. I asked because most translations can't seem to capture the essence of the original text. I was expecting you to say you read the translations, since that would explain why it isn't as you remembered. It takes a lot of effort to, but the translators seem to value speed over quality and detail, which is understandable but disappointing. Or perhaps it was really a case of time making those memories fade?

In any case, it's probably a sign that you should read through the novels again.
It's definitely a case of fading memories. I barely remember what the stories were about let alone details. Time to reread, for sure. Sadly, many of my favorites online are in simplified Chinese. I can only read traditional. But I do have in my prized possession the complete set of Chu Liuxiang series.

Yeah, I've purchased a couple of printed English translations and while they're better than freelance translations, they're still disappointing. Somehow, something is lost in translation. Perhaps, the ancient Chinese culture is so embedded in its language that pure translation is simply impossible. Case in point, even the simple word xia can find no English equivalent without a long descriptive phrase that covers only 90% of its meaning. Or the word karma (though not of Chinese origin), which is so unique that it has been adopted into the English dictionary as a new word. Anyhow, I still have a lot of respect for anyone who attempts to translate these gems, for it requires strong command of both languages to accomplish the monumental task.

Swordsman
Newcomer

Post by Swordsman » June 25, 2015 at 10:00 PM

not familiar with gu long work.

glad to see yan nan tian on the top tier.

风郎君
Newcomer

Post by 风郎君 » June 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Why is Fu Hong Xue in Tier 1 and Ye Kai in Tier 2? I would have thought they belong to the same tier and probably grade as well.

Swordsman
Newcomer

Post by Swordsman » June 26, 2015 at 10:20 PM

This kind of ranking is very subjective.

风郎君
Newcomer

Post by 风郎君 » June 29, 2015 at 6:30 AM

and that's where the hours of fun talks come from right? =p

Jenxi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jenxi » July 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, since the authors don't compare their abilities, we need to make inferences based on what happened in the novels.